The idea of Spirituality means different things for different people. The variety of Spiritual beliefs are customs are as varied as the people who practice them. One thing they all have in common is the range of effects they can have on our mental health. Spirituality affects our mental health in a variety of ways.
Spirituality is your belief or sense of purpose and meaning. It is what gives you a sense of value or worth in life. Contrary to what many people might think, Spirituality and religion are not the same. But they are linked. You can be spiritual without belonging to a specific religion. Religious people follow a partuset of rules and may be connected with specific groups or traditions.
Impact of Spirituality On Mental Health
Spirituality influences many decisions that people make. It encourages people to have better relationships with themselves, others, and the unknown. Spirituality can help you deal with stress by giving you a sense of peace purpose, and forgiveness. It often becomes more important in times of emotional stress or illness.
Positive Impacts Of Spirituality
There are several ways that spirituality can support your mental hey.
- You may feel a higher sense of purpose, peace, hope, and meaning.
- You may experience better confidence, self-esteem, and self-control.
- It can help you make sense of your experiences in life.
- When you are unwell, it can help you feel inner strength and results in a faster recovery.
- Those in a Spiritual community may have more support.
- You may work at better relationships with yourself and others.
Many people with mental illness get a sense of hope by talking with a religious or spiritual leader. Some mental illnesses can be seen as times when people question their value or purpose in a way that leaves them feeling pessimistic. It can be extra helpful to include spirituality in the treatment of mental health difficulties,
Negative Impacts Of Spirituality
Some people may take advantage of emotionally vulnerable people while pretending to support their spirituality. If you’re emotionally vulnerable, you can be more easily convinced to take part in unhealthy activities.
1 John 4 tells us to test the spirits. Do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God.
The four keys to spirituality are:
- Achieving meaning and purpose
Some ideas to improve your Spiritual health include:
- Find out what makes you feel peaceful, lived, strong, and connectex
- Dedicate part of your day doing community service.
- Read inspirational books.
- Try meditating.
- Take a walk outdoors.
- Pray – alone or in a group.
- Practice relaxation techniques.
- Do your what makes you happy. (exercising, team sports, vacationing, listening or playing music etc…).
- Dedicated quiet time to yourself .
Mental Health And Spiritual Health
A Spiritual assessment is sometimes necessary as part of ant mental health assessment. Mental Health issues like depression and substance abuse can be a sign of a Spiritual void in your life.
Understanding the difference between a spiritual crisis and a mental illness is important to get to the point of any problem.