What do you do when you’re feeling empty inside? Do you retreat into a hole, waiting for someone to pull you out? Do you deteriorate into a TV junkie/couch potato/Facebook addict? Do you laugh out of anyone and everyone who dare to enter your space including your dog? Or do you keep pressing forward, struggling what feels like running to waste deep water?
Busyness, parenting pressures, financial stress, illness, difficult people, you’re struggling with your childhood, or any other normal pressure in my report hole in your internal bucket and leave you with an empty soul. And if your internal level a reserve it already low, A larger than normal week in your soul will quickly drain you of any remaining resilience you have. Your creativity evaporates, you can’t even handle minor stressors let alone seeing anything positive in the world.
I learned the warning signs that indicate running on empty. I can let small things really upset me, Sometimes to the point of tears. I’m always embarrassed when I get to that point, but I learn to see it as a warning sign that I need to get intentional about filling my soul back up.
When are stomach is empty we find something to eat. Sometimes it’s a quick snack. Sometimes it’s a gourmet meal. Your body just best we regularly eat a variety of good quality food.
But what we don’t do when we get hungry and sit down and wait for someone else to feed us. Unless you are in four-point restraints in solitary confinement, you feed yourself. It may take effort. You may not be able to immediately get your favorite meal. There are an infinite variety of foods that may satisfy your empty belly, but we still have to feed ourselves.
It works the same way with an empty soul. It may take effort. You may not be able to immediately get your favourite soul nourishment. And they’re an infant writing activities and thought that may satisfy your empty soul. But here’s the key
You Have To Learn How To Feel Your Own Soul
That doesn’t mean you create soul food out of nowhere, a that all that soul food is equally nourishing. But it doesn’t mean that you are the one who must proactively choose and look for and intake whatever nourishment your soul needs.
Where To Find Soul Food
Your soul needs many different kinds of nourishment. It’s important to be aware of what nourishes you; It’s as unique as a kind of physical food you like or don’t like.
Here are a few categories to think about:
- Stillness vs Stimulation. Most of us in the today’s world are overstimulated. We face constant input from television, smart phones, and social media. That kind of data overload and dreams are internal bucket. Going non-digital for an hour, or afternoon, our weekend, my revolutionize our sense of feeling refreshed.
- Natural vs Artificial. our lives are often filled with everything man made; buildings, cities, media, noise, pollution. But when our soul needs to be filled up, There’s something about nature that needs I need that nothing else can. The sound of rain, I singing bird, the rustling of the trees, the feel of the sand or dirt under our feet- It reminds you of the creator made all that, and you too.
- Inspiring vs entertaining. Most media capitalizes on the sensational, the superficial, and the scandalous. The entertainment value Of it may keep your “vegged out,” but it won’t fill fill your soul. On the other hand, there are certain books, movies, music, or even TV programs will lift, fill, and enlarged your soul in a big way. You can tell the difference by the effects by your inner heart experiences.
- Earthly vs Eternal. Things we can see, feel and touch are important.Created the garden of Eden as a very physical place. But you and I were created for more than this earth. We were created for forever. Time spent reading your Bible, in prayer, and worship alone or with other believers, or just be in silence in the presence of the Lord- These nourish a part of our soul but only God can fill.
You don’t think it’s strange when your body needs food, or that some food leads to better health than others. So ask yourself the similar questions about how you nourish your soul.
1. How do you know your soul is empty? What are our unique emotional signal? How do you behave differently when your soul is depleted? What tells you you’re running on empty?
2. What soul who is most nourishing for you? When do you feel most alive, most refreshEd, most creative? What people, activities, or places fill you up?
Continuing to run on empty will never turn out well. Notice the signals that indicate you have an empty soul, And learn to feed yourself with the nourishment you need. Notice what I fills you up, and find ways to do more of that.
What signals tell you that your soul is running on empty? Can you name one or two things that provide you with soul nourishment.
Keeping our souls fueled up one of the aspects of taking charge of our own well-being.
We need to do more of that.