One of the biggest problems facing the Body of Christ in the last days I selfishness. Selfish people view everything according to how it profits them and then alone.
Did they like the service?
Did they like the Pastor‘s sermon!
Did they like the praise and worship service?
It’s all about them.
Selfishness is being concerned and caring only your own interests, never even considering others. In fact selfishness is the exact opposite of divine love. Since the Spirit of God dwells within us to assist us in walking in love then we are clearly resisting Him when we are selfish and self-centered.
The Scriptures tell us that selfish people will be a sure sign that we are living in the last days in fact, the Holy Spirit considers selfishness ‘perilous times.’ Let’s take a look at these verses and you’ll see what I mean.
This know also, that in the last days, grievous times will come. For men (women) will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, without natural affection, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, not lovers of good, traitors, headstrong, conceited lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God; holding a form of godliness, but having denied its power. Turn away from these.2 Timothy 3:1-5
I want you to notice that the very first thing the Holy Spirit calls ‘perilous times’ is people being in love with themselves. But we aren’t supposed to be living unto ourselves but unto the Lord.
This scripture lists clearly the characteristics of selfishness. I will define each of them below. Then do a quick check of your own life to be certain that none of these things in operating in you,
- Covetousness – having a greedy desire for more and all for yourself.
- Boasters – a braggart who wanders around telling everyone who will hear how great and special they are.
- Proud – this describes someone who considers themselves to be above others. In other words, they have an exalted opinion of themselves.
- Blasphemers – this is someone who mocks, slanders and verbally abuses others.
- Disobedient To Parents – here we find a person who shows no respect and refuses to yield to authority.
Why are children disobedient? Because they are selfish.
- Unthankful – this selfish person thinks they deserve what they have so they are ungrateful for it.
- Unholy – someone who uses profane, in pure, crude or rude speech.
The reason most people talk filthy is simply draw attention to themselves.
- Without Natural Affection – this is someone who is callous, hard-hearted and unloving to their own family and/or offspring.
- Truce Breakers – because selfish people always want to have their own way they only keep promises as long as it benefits them personally. When they feel that they are no longer benefiting they are quick to break promises.
This is why so many believers connect to a local church or pastor but then bail out and run off if they don’t get their way.
- False Accusers – these are liars pure and simple. Selfish people will always cover themselves and will lie on others to make them look bad while making themselves look good.
- Inconsistent – this is someone with no self-control and who lets their flesh dominate them continuously.
- Fierce – if they feel as though they have been crossed, or if someone disagrees with them they handle it in a contentious and hurtful way as they can.
- Despite’s Of Those That Are Good – selfish people are jealous if someone else does good and gets blessed or promoted and despise them for it.
- Traitors – selfish people have no loyalty at all and will betray you at the first opportunity.
- Heady – this describes a stubborn, headstrong individual.
Selfish people always insist on having their own way.
- High minded – this is someone who compares everyone and everything to their way of thinking. Then when someone does not fit their “mold” they judge and criticize them.
- Lovers Of Pleasure More Than Lovers Of God – selfish people aren’t happy unless they are constantly having their flesh entertained.
What a list! Yet this is all the result of selfishness in the last days.
Don’t allow selfishness any room in your life any longer. If you have to repent of it and ask the Lord to deliver you and help you live like a true follower of Christ. It seems like the last days are closer than we think. Don’t let selfishness determine your walk with Christ. Walk in love. Love is the winners way.